Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sarria - Spain 2016

There are two ways out of Tricastela.  You can go via Samos which adds 7km to your walk or take the very hilly trail through San Xil. Well after the first day I wasn't sure if I was ready to do 25 km today.  So I opted for the shorter hills route. Besides I read it was quite beautiful.  I'm glad I did since the countryside is so green and filled with many farms.  I was worried it was going to rain but it ended up a great day for a hike. 

I walked part of this route with two women from the Phillipines. They were so well travelled.  This hike proved equally challenging. I had no idea there was so much rock in this part of Spain. No wonder they have stone houses. Often the trail was filled with rocks that had been almost stripped by mining.  At times it was hard not to slip.  It seems everyday the trail is different. 

I'm glad I booked all my hotels ahead of time since I never have to worry about where I stay. I think a lot of pilgrims leave early so they have a choice of albuerge in the next town. I ended up at Hotel Alfonso which is a large hotel but then Sarria is a big town. Most pilgrims complete the Camino from this point on.  

Well tomorrow is a longer hike but I'm hoping its flatter.  




No comments:

Post a Comment